Pages

7/02/2013

Substitute Teachering


I ended up having/needing to substitute teach at the school where my husband works for the last 5 weeks of the semester. That was.... interesting. I was responsible for Pre-Calculus, Algebra II and something called Math Models.

The PreCal class was nothing. Really. I just accepted their final exams which had been given to them early because they were seniors and about to leave for their class trip. I graded them and that was that.



Algebra II and Math Models required class time and lecture. I had to brush up quick. I guess I did alright. Everyone was already passing the class and their grades pretty much didn't budge.

I have to say - Texas is retarded. They require so many math classes to graduate that they have invented a bridge class (Math Models) between Algebra I and Algebra II so that kids won't have to take the upper level math classes and can still get college prep HS diploma's. That's not the only dumb thing the educators in Texas have come up with but it's the one I had to directly deal with. Ugh.

OK. Can anyone say BORING!! I mean, I'm glad I was able to help out but seriously, I just realized how boring it is to talk about subsitute teaching.

The greatest part? The kiddos. They are so freaking hilarious! They were incredibly successful at derailing a class period to talk about - relationships, sex, Jesus, lunch... you name it. It was great.

They made me laugh. A lot. We spent our "final exam" time having a pizza/ice cream party and just decompressing after a rather stressful second semester. I'll miss them. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment